Supreme Court refuses to stay Sonam Raghuvanshi's bail in Raja Raghuvanshi murder case, next hearing on July 10Madhya Pradesh
3 Jul 2026, 12:47 pm (45 days ago)· 2

Supreme Court refuses to stay Sonam Raghuvanshi's bail in Raja Raghuvanshi murder case, next hearing on July 10

The Supreme Court has declined, for now, to stay the bail granted to Sonam Raghuvanshi in the Raja Raghuvanshi murder case, saying it would not be appropriate to interfere since she has already been released. The next hearing on the Meghalaya government's plea to cancel her bail is fixed for Thursday, July 10.

The Supreme Court has handed Sonam Raghuvanshi significant relief in the high-profile Raja Raghuvanshi murder case out of Indore, declining for now to stay her bail. That means she will not have to go back to jail immediately, even as the Meghalaya government keeps pushing its legal challenge against her release.

Court declines to step in for now

The matter is being heard by a bench of Justice M.M. Sundaresh and Justice Sheel Nagu. During the hearing, the court made it clear that since Sonam Raghuvanshi has already been released from custody, it would not be appropriate to interfere with that release at this stage. The bench has sought a response from Sonam Raghuvanshi and fixed the next hearing for Thursday, July 10, when further legal arguments and questions tied to the High Court's bail order will be taken up.

Also read

Meghalaya government's challenge to the bail order

The Meghalaya government has challenged the Meghalaya High Court's order granting bail to Sonam Raghuvanshi in the Supreme Court, seeking to have that bail cancelled. The same bench is hearing this plea, and detailed submissions were made on both sides during the day's proceedings.

SG cites a wig dispute case to bolster his argument

Arguing the case, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta referred to another recent case in which a wife allegedly killed her husband, a dispute reportedly connected to him wearing a wig, using the example to strengthen his submissions before the bench. The court observed that it had initially been inclined to stay the High Court's order, but since the accused is already out on bail, it was weighing whether adopting a very strict stance at this stage was warranted.

94 witnesses, trial stage and seized evidence

During the hearing, the court noted that police have so far seized multiple pieces of evidence and electronic evidence against Sonam Raghuvanshi. The bench also asked what stage the case has reached, to which the Solicitor General responded that it is currently at the trial stage, with 94 witnesses yet to be examined. The Supreme Court said it has prima facie objections to the High Court's order and indicated that the order could be stayed so that the trial is not affected. It also remarked that the arguments being raised now are different from those raised in earlier bail applications. Meanwhile, the accused's counsel argued that the arrest took place before the transit order was issued and that the grounds for the arrest were not clearly stated. The Supreme Court is currently in the process of drafting its order in the matter.

SG calls it a shocking case, says bail was wrong in a murder

Solicitor General Tushar Mehta strongly objected to the High Court's decision to grant bail, calling it a shocking case and arguing that granting bail in an offence as serious as murder was wrong. He submitted that this was a premeditated, planned murder in which Raja Raghuvanshi had travelled to Meghalaya with his wife Sonam Raghuvanshi on their honeymoon, where he was allegedly murdered and his body thrown into a gorge. The SG said a supplementary chargesheet has already been filed in the case, and that the accused, Sonam Raghuvanshi, was arrested from Uttar Pradesh, where she had allegedly fled. He also pointed out that the same judge who had rejected the bail plea three times earlier subsequently went on to grant bail. During the hearing, the Supreme Court also raised questions on certain facts, while the Solicitor General flagged an incorrect reference to Section 403 of the BNSS in the High Court's order.

What happens next

The Supreme Court's hearing in the matter is continuing, and a final order is still awaited. The next hearing is scheduled for Thursday, July 10, when the High Court's bail order and the Meghalaya government's petition will be examined further.

Questions & Answers

Why did the Supreme Court refuse to stay Sonam Raghuvanshi's bail?
The court said since she has already been released from jail, it would not be appropriate to interfere with that release at this stage.
When is the next hearing in the case?
The next hearing is fixed for Thursday, July 10.
What is the Meghalaya government seeking from the Supreme Court?
It has challenged the High Court order granting bail to Sonam Raghuvanshi and is seeking to have that bail cancelled.
How many witnesses are yet to be examined in the case?
According to the Solicitor General, the case is at the trial stage and 94 witnesses are yet to be examined.
What arguments did Solicitor General Tushar Mehta make?
He called it a premeditated murder in which Raja Raghuvanshi was allegedly killed during his honeymoon in Meghalaya and his body thrown into a gorge, and also flagged an incorrect reference to Section 403 of the BNSS in the High Court's order.
From where was the accused arrested?
According to the Solicitor General, Sonam Raghuvanshi was arrested from Uttar Pradesh, where she had allegedly fled.

Comments 0

No comments yet — be the first.

Citizen journalism

Become a TrendKia journalist

Voice of the people

Share news, photos and videos from your area with TrendKia and let your voice reach the nation. Every citizen a journalist.

Join now
CH 01 LIVE
TrendKia TV ON AIR